A couple of weeks ago I wrote a post called “How You Know There’s A Teenager In Your Home“. I got a lot of unexpected feedback about it, in a good way. A handful of people told me that it was hysterical. Now I must admit, I wasn’t exactly going for funny. I imagine the people who found it funny were the ones who were saying, “Hey, sounds like my house!”
Since it was such a huge hit I figured I should do more posts like that. And we all know how to tell when a baby or toddler is in the house. But do you think you can tell when there’s a preteen in the home? Well, I’m going to give you the clues to help you deduce if you are in a house with a preteen.
How You Know There’s A Preteen In Your Home
Again I should start out by making it clear that the only preteens I have experience with are preteen girls. I have no knowledge yet of what preteen boys are like, but I bet some of my readers do so hopefully they’ll pipe up with any differences or additional tell tale signs of a preteen boy.
- The mood swings. A preteen can go from being happy go lucky one minute to completely weepy and emotional the next. No one knows why, certainly not the preteen. But there’s not much that will get her out of the funk. Oh you have got to LOVE those hormones.
- They are still interested in toys, but they also want the expensive electronics. Barbie and an Ipad, every preteen girls dream come true.
- They are full of drama. A day does not go by where there isn’t someone that my daughter isn’t telling me that she’s not friends with anymore, only to then be told the next day that she wants to go over that girl’s house. Wait, what? I thought you weren’t friends with her anymore! Oh that was yesterday, this is today.
- They float between being a little kid still and all grown up. One minute listening to Disney and the next some Fangirl for One Direction.
- They begin questioning your intelligence. You can actually watch the days of believing ever tale of why the sky is blue and how to get to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and see it replaced with disbelief and eye rolling.
- They will beg and plead with you to allow them to use the internet or have their own Facebook account or a cell phone. It’s always a need for survival and not a want. When you tell them they are too young they will promptly show their age by screaming about how unfair you are.
- They already can spend hours on the phone. When you tell them to get off they will put their hand up and motion you away as if they actually have any say in the matter.
- Everything you do is unfair, but the second you give them everything they have asked for they are all hugs and kisses and “I love you Mommy!”
- They experiment with their style and can put together some of the most out there outfits. But try to tell them something doesn’t go and they will tell you how you just don’t get it.
This was kind of a hard list to come up with actually. They mostly are like mini teenagers, but because they are new to dealing with hormones they have a harder time keeping their emotions in check. It’s all crazy and it’s all wonderful watching them grow and learn. Each one of these things are shaping them into the human being they are going to be. So I for one am glad I get to be a part of that. Even if they do drive me nuts at times. Infant, toddler, preschooler, school aged, preteen, or teen it’s all an adventure and it all keeps you on your toes.
So can you relate to this preteen attitude? Have anything you’d like to add?