With tomorrow being Thanksgiving here in the United States I want to tell you what is on my list of thankful for this year. There is really so much more good that can be found than bad if you really take the chance to look. So after giving this a lot of thought, over the past year or so really, here you have my I’m thankful for…
1. My baby girl. After the loss of our Angel almost 3 years ago I did not think I would get another opportunity to mother a little girl. And of course when I found out I was pregnant last year I was a nervous wreck that I’d lose her too. But she is here and she’s perfect and more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. I will always remember her sister, but I am thankful to have been given this second chance.
2. My oldest daughter. She challenges me on a daily basis. She reminds me that sometimes just my not doing something around her doesn’t mean I do not have to teach her the reasons behind it because she sees and hears from other people as well. She has given me the chance to be a mother and make mistakes and learn from them. She pushes me to show her the importance of advocating for yourself. She is an amazing girl who is quickly turning into a woman and fighting it every step of the way. So I am thankful that she still wants to be my little girl, most days anyways.
3. My middle daughter. She is a pip with a huge heart. She has strength and courage for such a young age that I have never seen before and I admire greatly. I am thankful that she is here with me and sharing her creativity and zest for life. Her amazing work ethic inspires me to work a little bit harder.
4. My son. He’s just 4 years old, but he is such a comedian. The things he comes up with on a daily basis even when he’s dead serious have me cracking up. I am thankful to have him here and giving me so much joy and laughter.
5. My husband. He gets up and goes to work every day to provide for us. He comes home and helps with the children. I am thankful to have such an amazing partner to walk hand and hand with down this road of parenting.
6. Great teachers. We have been blessed recently with some truly wonderful and amazing teachers in my children’s lives who want to see them succeed almost as much as I do. I don’t know that I could ever truly show them how grateful I am for all they have done for my children. I am thankful to have teachers who love what they do and see whatever I see in my children.
7. My extended family. They have been by my side loving me and my children and supporting us in everything that we do. I am thankful for all of their love and support.
8. Good friends. People I can count on to pick up a child from school for me if needed or just watch for a few hours. Ones to laugh with, scream with, and tell stories to. I am thankful for their helping hands and the stories they share with me.
9. Good neighbors. In the past we have never gotten to know our neighbors much. However, that changed very recently when we were stuck in the dark for 84 hours. We found warmth in the kitchen of a neighbor and a deeper fondness for the people they are. Generous almost to a fault and just beautiful people inside and out. I am thankful for the kindness they have shown to us and especially our children.
10. All the basic necessities of life and then some. Having a roof over our heads and food in our bellies is great. But to also have at least one operating vehicle (most of the time), internet, cell phones, television, and nice things it’s really all such a blessing. All which I am very thankful to be able to have knowing that so many don’t get to have even the basic necessities.
I honestly could go on and on because in spite of any hardships we may have we really do have it better than most and that in itself is something to be thankful for.