Thirteen years ago I said, “I do” and married my husband. It was just a formality really in our relationship as we already had our oldest daughter. But an important day none the less. And let me just tell you there were a lot of people in our lives who I don’t think imagined we would still be together, 13 years later, 3 more kids, and even after the heartbreak of losing a baby.
But here we are today, celebrating 13 years of wedded bliss. Well, maybe not all bliss, but every relationship has its bumps in the road, right? What matters is how you come through them.
I think we’re both in this for the long haul though. I certainly am. And I’d like to share 13 things about us the couple with you all today.
- We met working together at Dunkin Donuts. I was home for summer break from college and we met there. It took all summer for us to connect with one another.
- I broke up with him after my grandmother passed when I was away in college. Came home that Christmas and he didn’t utter a word to me until my last day home he slipped me a note. We wouldn’t end up back together until I came home that summer and that was for keeps.
- My husband is 7 years older than me.
- We grew up just a few short miles from each other. Went to all of the same schools. Had many of the same teachers. Knew many of the same people. And probably had seen each other dozens of times before our official meeting at Dunkin Donuts.
- His mother and my grandmother most likely crossed paths and maybe even went to school together. Sadly, we probably will never know for sure as both his mother and my grandmother passed away before we really got to know each other and the fact that they were the same age.
- My husband has the same zodiac sign as my mother and I have the same zodiac sign as his mother. Gives extra meaning to having our zodiac signs tattooed on us.
- We have been together for 15 years this May.
- He took me to get my 1st tattoo.
- We both love 80′s hair bands. His favorite is Poison, mine is Def Leppard. The fact that Def Leppard and Poison toured together a few years ago made for the ultimate concert for us. You better believe we went to that concert and had the best time.
- When we got back together our 1st date was to see the movie Armageddon. After that every time the Aerosmith song Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing came on the radio we both thought of each other. That became “our song”.
- We are the classic opposites attract couple. It works out well because where he struggles I pick him up and vice versa.
- He proposed to me on his birthday (July 21, 1998). I had taken him out for a special dinner. Tried to get him lobster, but they were all out. The evening didn’t entirely go as planned, but that night after a walk on the boardwalk and we went back to his place he proposed to me.
- We are the real deal, I truly think we were meant to be. Our lives have crossed paths so many times in so many different ways it just seems like it was bound to happen.
Happy Anniversary to the love of my life! I’m so proud that we have come this far and grateful to have you in my life. Here’s to another fifty plus years together.