As a child, one of our favorite family vacation spots was Virginia Beach. I think the first time we went for a family vacation was when I was around 8 years old. After that no other vacations ever compared and we went back time and time again. I have not been back since I was about seventeen I think. However, my parents still go every year and bring back tastes of Virginia Beach to share with us.
Here Are Just 10 Reasons Why I Would Love To Go Back
- The beautiful sunrises. As a child I was never one to get up early and watch the sun rise. However, my parents would do it. They would go out on the beach and take these amazing pictures. I would love to see that sunrise with my own husband while my children peacefully slept in their beds.
- The fudge! There’s a place called Candy Kitchen that sells they yummiest sweets and treats. I always loved their fudge. I actually have some in my fridge right now because my parents brought some back for me as they do every year, but it’s just not the same as going into the actual shop. I could have it shipped to me too as they do ship, but I imagine the price to ship something like that wouldn’t be cheap and again it wouldn’t be the same.
- The boardwalk. Virginia Beach has an amazing boardwalk. Tons of shops and amazing hotels on the boardwalk.
- To rent a bike. Okay, yes I could do this anywhere. However, one of the times I was there with my parents we rented bikes to ride the boardwalk. I road my first 20 inch bike while down there. It was a little big for me at the time and I remember falling and scraping my knee, but yet the whole thing is such a fond memory. I loved my pretty little pink bike.
- Paintball! Yes, I can play paintball here, but again this all goes back to a childhood memory. In my teen years we started bringing people with us. One year we brought my cousin and my parents let us go off on our own. We headed for paintball. We were both terrible at it and got huge huge welts, but we had so much fun. We were going to go back, but we ran out of time. Wow, now that I think about it I got injured a lot in Virginia Beach and somehow my best memories are wrapped up in them.
- The ice cream! I don’t know if I’m remembering the name of this place or if it’s even still there. I’m thinking it’s called Uncle Henry’s. They don’t believe in toppings though. They do mix ins. So every single bite is filled with your favorite toppings. Oh boy, do I ever hope they are still there if and when I ever get back there. Now I’m craving ice cream.
- The people. There are so many people from so many different places. We always got a kick out of someone. Always a funny story to tell about some people we saw there. Like every year the guy on roller blades that just went up and down the boardwalk. We nicknamed him Road Runner. I wonder if he’s still around???
- The beach seems like an obvious choice. The sand was always so well groomed. I used to love creating figures in the sand on the beach. Dogs. Dragons. Cats. And if my brother allowed it I’d get in on his sand castle creating too.
- The water. The waves are so big. I loved rafting and body surfing. I’m not too sure that I’ll be too into body surfing these days, but I bet the kids would love it as much as I did. Mouth full of salt water and all.
- I think I might like to try something new like para-sailing too. I’ve only ever done that on a lake. I wonder what it would be like in the ocean.
I would have such a great time showing my children all the ins and outs of Virginia Beach and discovering what’s new in the last 15 years or so since I’ve been. What an amazing vacation full of so many wonderful memories. My childhood summers have a lot of Virginia Beach memories.
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Virginia Beach Tourism blogging program, for a gift card worth $40. For more information on how you can participate, click here.